We’ve made gluten free Thanksgiving Gravy less daunting! Perfect to ladle over your stuffing or mashers, this “Liquid Gold” will be a stand out favorite for all gravy lovers. And shhh no one will ever know it’s gluten free!
Making Thanksgiving Gravy is about timing AND the fat to flour to dripping ratio. First you are using the fat drippings from your turkey, mixed with flour, some sherry, and of course the pan drippings where all the flavor resides. Get yourself a good fat separator and whisk and you’ll be happy you did. Below you’ll find step by step directions with the photos to see exactly what you will need to do to experience this “Liquid Gold”, as we call Thanksgiving Gravy at our holiday Feast.
Not into turkey gravy? No worries! Use our NO-Bone Broth recipe to make a delicious vegan gravy using an alternative butter for the fat. Simply follow the gravy directions below.
First you will make a a giblet stock for the gravy using the parts you will find inside your bird. These parts are like a present all wrapped up. I discard the liver and the heart, and use the neck and other giblets. After the giblet gravy is finished, refrigerate once cool and then you are ready for gravy.
Ingredients for Giblet Stock
Dark green tops of 1 leek,
2 carrots halved, and
2 stalks celery cut into large pieces,
3 sprigs celery leaves,
4 sprigs parsley,
8 whole peppercorns,
2 Tsp.Sea salt,
3 whole cloves garlic smashed,
1 bay leaf,
1 sprig thyme or dill or both.
Method for Making Giblet Stock
Cover all ingredients with water. OR USE PACIFIC brand TURKEY BONE BROTH and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for 1 1⁄2 to 2 hours. Remove the vegetables and discard the bones. Save the meat for later use. If prepared early in the morning or day before, place the stock in the refrigerator until you are ready to use for your gravy.
Thanksgiving Gravy Ingredients
6 Tbsp.. flour, OR (*GF flour, Pamela’s Artisan, or Cup for Cup flour)
2 Tbsp. or more of turkey fat
Turkey Giblet stock
Chicken or turkey broth, just in case you need additional liquid
1⁄4-1/2 C Dry sherry, Marsala or Port to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Method for Making Thanksgiving Gravy
- Pour turkey pan juices into large separator cup that separates the fat from the stock. Reserve 1⁄4 C of the fat, and pour non fat drippings into a cup and set aside. Do not discard anything yet!
- Add enough giblet stock to the non fat pan dripping to measure 3 1⁄2 Cups.
- Pour 1⁄2 Cup of the stock back into turkey roasting pan. Set over medium high-high heat and while you bring this to a boil continue to whisk to pick up any remaining flavor pieces, those browned bits that look burned but are really the flavor pieces for your gravy.
- Whisk in reserved 1/4 C fat to pan, (if there wasn’t enough rendered fat from turkey drippings then use butter) and gradually add 6 TBL flour. Whisking constantly.
- Once you’ve made a roux, ( the flour/fat mixture), gradually whisk in remaining 3 C broth.
- Bring to a boil, and continue to cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Once thickened SLOWLY whisk in the 1⁄4 C sherry to taste.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes to develop flavors and let thicken some more. Serve hot.
- To thin as needed, whisk in more stock.
- WE CALL THIS LIQUID GOLD! Not an everyday food, but deliciously special once a year!