Poppadom~ Gluten Free Chickpea spiced cracker
2 cups chickpea/garbanzo bean flour
1 tsp course ground pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp salt
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1/2 cup water
½ tsp cayenne pepper ( add when rolling out dough)
1 tsp. caraway seeds, muddled
Celtic Sea Salt for topping
Ghee for frying. Use 3 Tbl to start.
- Place 2 cups chickpea flour and 1 tsp coarsely ground pepper into a mixing bowl
- Add cumin and sea salt.
- Toss in 1(or more) crushed garlic clove and mix well.
- Pour in water. Mix until a firm, dry dough forms.
- Knead the dough for approximately 5 minutes until dough is smooth.
- Pinch off dough, about 2″‘s, and roll into a ball. About 12 balls.
- Using the palm of your hand, flatten the ball.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each piece into a very thin circle, oval, or rectangle! whatever shape YOU Like!
- Sprinkle each thin circle with cayenne pepper. Try muddled caraway seeds, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper too!
- Using your rolling pin, press the spices into the dough.
- Heat ghee in a large skillet on medium high.
- Once oil is hot, add your poppadom. It should begin to brown right away. Flip the poppadom once browned.
- Remove the poppadoms when brown and crisp looking, before they begin to burn.
- Place your homemade poppadoms onto paper towels while you continue cooking the rest. Serve warm or cold.
- Great eaten with Indian food, lentil stew, soups, or salads
- Store in an airtight container, if leftovers!