Mouthwatering Mediterranean Whitefish is a deliciously quick dinner you can make in under 20 minutes. Serve Mediterranean Whitefish any time of the year. However, peak season for all the beautiful fresh ingredients happen during our bountiful summer and fall seasons when there is a plethora of fresh picked vegetables in their prime!
Using peak veggies found at your local farmers’ markets~ tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini~ is what makes this dish so enticing. We sauté leeks, shallots, garlic, peppers tomatoes, olives, baby artichokes, olives and then simmer it all together with a wild caught sustainable whitefish . Oh yum! We love adding fresh dill at the end of cooking. Twenty minutes and dinner is served.
If you want to cook more Mediterranean style dishes and perhaps fish isn’t your favorite, try this Mediterranean salad Mediterranean Pasta, Lamb meatballs or a Mediterranean Stew. The mediterranean diet has a long history of science backed research for being a healthy diet and lifestyle. Megs and I embrace the Mediterranean lifestyle and the recommended foods we’ve always embraced~ fresh, seasonal, and vibrant whole food~ the main ingredients in the Mediterranean way of life!
Local, organic, whole food and antioxidant rich olive oil play a big role in a Mediterranean diet. Knowing and learning about what makes YOU feel vibrant, energized and happy is paramount for your over all health. There are tons of great reasons to eat a whole food diet. We encourage you to discover what works best in your body, and incorporate dishes like our Mediterranean Whitefish into your life. Check out our Cleansing with Food Program where you’ll learn exactly what works for you while eating a colorful anti-inflammatory diet for 21 days. It’s nothing short of miraculous! New habits and new foods help you discover what brings you back to your most vibrant juicy life! Food is our greatest health asset.
We hope you enjoy our recipe video!
Mediterranean Whitefish Ingredients:
- 1 lb. (2 pieces) or more Wild Whitefish: Arctic Cod, filet sole, mahi mahi, or another firm wild caught fish of choice.
- 1/2 C chopped leeks or onions OR 1 large shallot chopped
- 1/2 C red bell pepper sliced (optional)
- 1/2 lemon to squeeze onto fish
- 1 tsp. fresh minced dill or 1/2 tsp dried
- 2-4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup small capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 C Greek pitted olives black or green or a combo
- 6 Cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4-1/2 C diced marinated artichokes
- 2 Tablespoons chopped chives or red onion for garnish
- Fresh ground pepper
- Chili Pepper flakes to taste
- Maldon or Celtic Sea salt to taste. Note: capers and olives add a nice saltiness too, so taste before adding additional salt.
Mediterranean Whitefish Method
- Season both sides of sole with lemon juice, dill and pepper, in that order.
- Place 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pre-heated 12 inch skillet over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, (NOT SMOKING) brown fish on both sides. Fish turns an opaque and the edges become golden brown.
- Depending on thickness of whitefish, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to plate, cover to keep warm and set aside.
- The fish will release a nice juice into the pan. Keep the juices in the pan.
- IF pan is dry, add remaining 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, shallots/leeks/onions, garlic into skillet.
- Cover and sauté 3 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add diced tomatoes and artichokes, olives, and capers
- Season with fresh ground pepper and chili pepper flakes to taste
- Spoon caper tomato olive mixture over fish and serve topped with minced parsley or chives.
- Great served with blistered green beans and house salad. Also fish is great served room temp over a salad.