Simple Heirloom Tomato Salad is the perfect side dish for any summer dinner. Whether you are serving a crowd or just yourself you will fall in love with the robust summer flavors in this easy to put together dish! This Simple Heirloom Tomato Salad will make you feel as if you are in Italy. Pour a little red wine and enjoy the bounty of summer!
Here’s a few iof our favorite things to do with summer’s heirlooms!
- Aside from eating them plain with some Celtic or Maldon Sea Salt, add them to your salads or sandwiches, make a summer Gazpacho or an entire salad using our Mediterranean Salad recipe.
- On a rare cool night, make a wonderful roasted heirloom tomato basil soup.
- Dice your heirlooms and add minced garlic, fresh basil and oregano for a quick pasta dish, top your homemade pizza’s with sliced heirloom tomatoes, or add to your breakfast strata or quiche.
- Oh and don’t forget how delicious fresh made salsas can be using heirlooms. The flavor changes dramatically.
Over the years we’ve fallen in love with growing our own heirloom tomatoes along with the numerous heirloom tomatoe varieties. There are literally hundreds to choose from! Green Zebra, Brandy-wine, Black Krim to name a few. We don’t really know the names of all the many varieties, but besides how beautifully colorful they are, we love their delicious taste.
For all your heirloom tomato curiosities check out our friends at Tomatomania! They have tons of inspiration for how to grow your own tomatoes as well as a great recipe book! If inspired, go to one of their many California events. Meg’s had so much fun growing her own tomatoes and was amazed by her great success!
In the summer our entire family loves this Heirloom tomato Salad served alongside our Sunday Burgers or homemade pizza night. Not only is it quick to put together, but it’s great to take to a BBQ or party! Bring either crusty sour dough slices, crostini’s or an Heirloom Pizza to serve and scoop up all the yumminess of the pesto, tomatoes and balsamic drizzle.
Simple Heirloom Tomato Salad Ingredients:
Red onion, thinly sliced
Sheep or goat feta, crumbled
Pitted kalamata olives or a mix
Flake or Celtic Sea Salt
Cucumbers, artichokes, garbanzo beans
Fresh mozzarella or Burrata Cheeses
Fresh slivered basil leaves for garnish.
Simple Heirloom Tomato Salad Method:
- Make a batch of homemade cilantro basil pesto. Or you can buy a store bought pesto too!
- As many colorful heirloom tomatoes ~ all shapes and sizes. Slice or dice tomatoes in chunks
- In a large rectangular or oblong shaped serving platter, if using, spread the pesto on the bottom of the platter. Arrange tomatoes over the pesto.
- Add thinly sliced red onion, crumble mild sheep or goat feta, and sprinkle capers and sliced pitted or whole Kalamata olives over the tomatoes.
- Other options to mix in: fresh burrata cheese, grated Pecorino Romano, cucumbers, artichokes and or garbanzo beans.
- Last, drizzle your favorite olive oil and balsamic over the top. Finish with fresh ground pepper and a dash of Flake or Celtic sea salt.
- You can also garnish with slivered fresh basil leaves.
You’re all ready to serve up this tasty bountiful summer dish! It’s a real crowd pleaser!
Here are other ideas for using heirloom tomatoes that just might get your creative juices flowing!