Our favorite Valentine’s Day Gluten Free Linzer Cookies. This cookies aren’t just for Valentine’s Day, but for any day you wish to share your love with all your friends, family, co-workers, and people you wish to say thank you, “I love you”. These Linzer Cookies are a feel good cookie packed with heart healthy pecans which are a great source of fiber and a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals such as: manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium. For more good reasons to eat Pecan’s check out this article.
These crispy pecan shortbread cookies are light and crisp, however beware they are super easy to eat.
Watch our fun recipe video below, and learn why these cookies are legendary.
Gluten Free Linzer Cookies Ingredients:
1 C butter softened
2/3 C sugar
½ tsp. Vanilla
1 1/3 pecans, finely ground
2 C gluten free flour (Pamela’s, GF123, Bob’s Red Mill GF, Cup4Cup flour blends all work great!)
Seedless Raspberry jam or spread
Gluten Free Linzer Cookies Method:
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Gradually add pecans and flour. Blend all ingredients thoroughly.
- Wrap in parchment then place in a plastic baggie.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours or up to 2 days.
- Remove pastry from bag.
- Roll out dough (it will be hard at first, but will soften up with rolling), on a well-floured surface, (preferably on a silicon pad or marble or wood cutting board).
- Using a well-floured rolling pin, roll ¼- ½ inch thickness.
- Using a heart shape cookie cutter cut a top and a bottom for each cookie.
- For the top cookie use a smaller heart and cut out the center.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes at 375 degrees. Just until nicely light brown.
- Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes before you remove them to cooling rack.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes on cooling rack.
- May be stored without jam or sugar for up to 2 days in an airtight container.
- Transfer all bottoms to a pan for spreading jam onto them.
- Leave tops on cooling rack, but place a sheet under it to catch the mess from the powdered sugar.
- Sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar using a sifter.
- Carefully spread jam onto the bottom cookies.
- Place the powdered sugar top onto the jam bottom, and VOILA!!!Sooo Beautiful, and sooo delicious!!!NOTE: Usually we make these cookies a day ahead and sugar dust and jam them just before giving them away. Also the batter is great just as a cookie cutter cookie! We keep all the centers and put them out to eat as well. The cookies keep for up to a week, IF not eaten all before!