Coconut Cream Pie (gluten and dairy free)
For the Coconut Custard:
- 1½ cups full fat coconut milk
- 6 egg yolks (use egg whites for omelets or macaroons!)
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup organic GMO free cornstarch
- Pinch of Celtic sea salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut (see recipe below on how to sweeten)
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
For the Garnish:
- ⅓ cup sweetened shredded coconut
For the Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 container chilled So Delicious culinary coconut milk OR 1 12-ounce can chilled full fat coconut milk
- 2½ teaspoons honey
For the Crust:
- ⅔ cup finely gluten-free pecan shortbread cookie crumbs (grind in a food processor or mini-chopper, or use a rolling pin to crush, kids love doing this!)
- 2-4 Tablespoons coconut oil (enough oil to wet not saturate the crumbs)
To Make the Coconut Custard:
- Pour the coconut milk into a small pot and place over medium heat until small bubbles form around the edges.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Slowly pour the hot coconut milk over the egg mixture while whisking into the warm eggs.
- Place the mixture back into the pot and place over low heat. Stir constantly until the mixture begins to bubble and thickens.
- Transfer to a glass bowl that is heat safe. Cover the top with plastic wrap.
- Chill for 2 hours.
- When the custard has cooled completely, fold in the shredded coconut and coconut extract.
To Make the Garnish:
- Place the coconut in a small skillet over medium heat, and toast, stirring, until crisp and browned. This may also be done under the broiler, but make sure to watch closely it burns easily.
To Make the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Squeeze out culinary coconut into a medium bowl. Cutting the top works great too! Pour off any clear liquid and reserve for another use (it’s great in a smoothie!).
- With a hand mixer, whip the coconut milk. Once it begins to thicken, add the honey and continue to whip until desired thickness. It’s more like a thick crème fraiche then a true whipped cream.
To Assemble the pie:
- Place 2 tablespoons of crust in the bottom of each of 6 4-ounce mason jars.
- Layer the coconut custard on top.
- Top with coconut whipped cream.
- Garnish with toasted coconut.
- For Easter top with GF Jellybeans!
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Pie may be made a day ahead. Custard and whip cream can be made 3 days ahead and then assembled day of.
Watch our latest video to see how it’s done http://youtu.be/fj9OeukUVsk
How to sweeten coconut flakes? Most quality coconut comes unsweetened, so here is how to make it sweet in 5 minutes!
Thanks to Food.com for their simple recipe
¼ cup water
4 teaspoons organic sugar
1 cup organic unsweetened organic flakes
- In a sauce pan, heat the water and sugar.
- Add the coconut.
- Stir until all the water is absorbed.
- If desired, allow to dry on a cookie sheet.
Have a joy filled and Happy Holiday!