Chicken Stew was inspired by all our favorite seasonal fall and winter vegetables. The French-style stew (or “Cassoulet”), is a one-pot bright but hearty seasonable dish that’s perfect for when you’re looking for a filling meal that also incorporates a lot of veggies.
6 Chicken thighs
1 Leek diced
1 large onion diced
4-6 carrots sliced 2” thick
1 fennel rough chopped
1 garlic head separated and smashed or sliced individual cloves
1 fresh spring garlic tops included (when in season, totally optional)
6 or more Sunchokes washed, halved or quarter, (when in season, totally optional)
1-2 C diced or sliced mushrooms: shiitake, oyster, crimini, wood ear
1 C fresh or dried black-eyed peas, rinsed
2 tsp Italian seasonings or a fun lavender blend
1 tsp salt
4-6 Cups Chicken or vegetable stock or Imagines’ No-Chicken Stock
½-1 Cup dry white wine (optional)
Fresh ground pepper
Coconut or olive oil
After 1 hour of cooking add the beans and sugar snaps if using
1 C sugar snap peas
1 C green beans
Pre-heat Oven to 400 degrees
- Rinse and pat dry chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper each chicken thigh
- (NOT clean~ you can dredge in gluten free rice flour but not necessary
- Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven on medium heat
- Add chicken thighs and brown on both sides,
- Remove chicken from skillet or pot, set aside and cover
- Add 2-3 more Tbl Olive oil and add onions, carrots, garlic, leeks, fennel, sunchokes and mushrooms.
- Cover, and cook down until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and seasonings.
- Add black-eyed peas, chicken, stock, and wine.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, carefully place Dutch Oven or skillet into oven.
- Reduce heat to 300-325 and continue braising for 1 ½ -2 hours.
NOTE: After 1 hour of cooking add the beans and sugar snaps.
After CLEAN, a nice crusty baguette is awesome! Against the Grain or Udi’s are favorites!