Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Adapted from several sources, primarily Pamela Salzman (great step-by-step pictures)
*makes one 10-12-inch pizza
WATCH recipe video HERE!
– Preheat oven to 450 degrees and place a baking sheet or pizza stone in the oven as it is heating up.
– Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor for about 30 seconds until you get very small pieces ~ it should look like millet or rice.
– Place the cauliflower and 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer for about 3-5 minutes covered. Drain into a cheese-cloth or anything you would use to make nut-milk, inside a fine mesh sieve and allow to cool.
– When the cauliflower has cooled enough for you to handle, squeeze out as much water as possible.
– Transfer the squeezed cauliflower to a bowl and stir in the pecorino or parm cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, red pepper flakes and hazelnut or almond meal. Add egg whites and mix until combined. The mixture should feel sticky, but if it is too wet add a little more of the meal/flour.
– Using your hands, form the mixture into a tightly packed 10-12” round on the parchment paper.
– Slide the parchment paper onto the HOT baking sheet or pizza stone. (A flat edged cookie sheet worked great with the help of a large flat spatula getting the parchment in and out of the oven)
– Bake for 15-20 minutes until the crust starts to turn golden brown.
– Remove crusts from oven and top with desired toppings ~ start with sauce. Next evenly top with spinach, mushrooms, red onions, and leeks. Then sprinkle half of cheese on top of veggies, crack the egg in the center on top of everything, and then sprinkle remainder of cheese around. Finish topping with pecorino-romano and cilantro.
– Place back in the oven and cook for another 7-15 minutes until cheese is melted and egg has turned white around its the edges.
Let it cool for a few minutes before slicing with pizza cutter.
**WATCH recipe video HERE!